Saturday, October 26, 2013

SKULL 26

SKULL 26


My blog, this blog, is about all the things that affect my art. What I discovered through writing this blog is that music is a top factor. I always knew it was important, but now, I know I could not paint without it; and so I just wanted to share my latest music obsession: JJ Gray & Mofro.  I went to my very first JJ Gray & Mofro show and it was on fire!  The funk sound ignited everyone. His voice reminded me of Joe Cocker and his band of the Blues Brothers; big horns, electric base playing & steel guitar were awesome.  The long pieces reminded me also of the Grateful Dead or Widespread Panic concerts.  The beat got the crowd off their feet and you could not stop bouncing around. Their opening band was the Revivalists who complimented the whole show. Both bands had a wonderful southern charm that made everyone want to back up and leave this bitter cold city for the French Quarter or Florida. By far one of the best concerts I've been to this year.