Monday, February 20, 2012

Decorate & Design

Considering buying art for your home?


Here is a photo journal of how to decorate your house with art.These Chicago homes (and surrounding areas)  have all bought paintings from me to for their interior design ideas.



One of my favorite interior designers in Chicago is Michelle Williams.  Check out her website and see how she uses color.  I like how she is very daring with her ideas.  I like the unique and maybe uncomfortable pieces she uses as focal points to really tie a room together.


When you decorate or design a room, a house; be different.  What I have learned from selling paintings to people and where the pieces end up; is it's interesting to have a piece (furniture, painting, vase, etc) that doesn't match; it will stand out.  Have something different that people covet when they come in.  It's ok to mix antiques and modern every once in a while and do not be afraid to use bright rare colors like orange or turquoise.  I grew up on a street where some houses were the exact same floor plans, but my house was one of the different ones.  It was a medium Cape Cod in the middle of ranches.  We were the only house to have 2 house lights on either side of the front door and the only reason I know this, is because, a new neighbor pointed it out to my parents one day.  He and his family had moved in and he was in construction (remodeling his brand new home) and he said he drove up and down our street and looking at all the houses/designs and noticed we were the only house with two lights; hence his house has two lights now. It's fun to rebuild, design, and decorate.