Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lost Artists



I went to Second Saturdays at the Art Colony for the Lost Artists Exhibit in Avondale (2630 West Fletcher Chicago Illinois 60618). The space is a large warehouse with little rooms sectioned off that each artist rents.  The hallways are covered by art.  There was a space where there were poetry readings; then later musicians occupied the space. The walls did not go all the way to the ceilings and you could hear the lovely voice of the singer and guitar in every part of the warehouse.  In the far distance or in the front row the song’s beautiful melody was just right for the occasion. Each rented space was numbered and each number was a unique design by each artist.  I saw work by James Vellner whose pieces reminded me of one of a kind tattoos.  Artist Walter Fydryck bird series was completed with an acrylic wash and pencil.  I am always impressed by different techniques in execution. Photographer, David Bechtol‘s panoramas of wilderness landscapes were my favorite of his collection. 


One of the spaces is occupied by Take 2 Vintage a tiny shop with vintage furniture, ceramics and paintings. I would love to buy the bright velour squat pinstriped blue suitor chair. (I like chairs, more that couches) It reminded me my neighbor Helen’s round chair when I was a kid.  I dream of that chair and wish I could have it.

 


 
GretchenHasse’s use of an old window like a comic book in each pane made me think of Pinterest’s ideas.  Her work also made me think of the Story Of O comic book. Her figure drawings were exaggerated and with bold, intricate lines. In Kirk Rohrbaugh’s space the lighting was fantastic for his vibrant, bright pieces on oval and circle canvas as well as squares and rectangles.  When you walked into his space the colorful paintings lit up the room with cantaloupe oranges and fire truck red and neon blues.

My favorite art of the exhibit was Frank Mascenic’s pieces.  They were nature and abstract themes.  The granny smith green in some of his pieces really caught the spectator’s attention.  One of his paintings was a lush yellow that drew everyone to step into the room. 


 

The Art Colony is open to the public every second Saturday of each month.  It’s free to attend exhibits and usually artists provide snacks and drinks for the evening. Stop by and buy local!