Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Where Have I Been Part 3

When the Q began I did not enjoy working at home. I liked my home separate from my job. However, I have grown to like it. I like not having to commute for over an hour one way. I enjoy that I get to step outside and get fresh air, which I never did while working at the office. I barely felt the sun in 16 years and I was pining for it. I would leave for work at 8am and not return home until after 10pm and after commuting through the city for so many years this Q break made my life better. I bring all this up because, I had more time added to my life plus I got to go outside more. 

The Tunnel: backtrack to 2017; I had jogged through a tunnel in my hood many times and I kept thinking it was like being in the belly of a caterpillar. In 2017 I started a secret graffiti project. I started painting it with friends the colors of a Monarch caterpillar. One day, dad with his family came biking through the tunnel while I was painting. He knocked me down because, well, I was doing graffiti, but, that should not have mattered. I was a woman (just 5ft tall; I must have been a terrifying threat), he did it in front of his small kids and maybe the Grandmother. I was upset with anger and wanted to find him to knock him down.  I went to the alderman's office hoping I get city permission to paint this caterpillar.  Nothing happened. No one at the office could help me.  I gave up for a while, sporadically painting the tunnel. One day on Instagram I saw a post based on location and it was a girl posing in my caterpillar in front of the colors I painted. That was it! I' decided to paint again. I started graffiti again. I went back to the alderman's office and a miracle happened I got permission.

Going back to having more time added to my life and taking vacation days from work I was able to paint the caterpillar consistently. I met nice people in the tunnel who rallied and gave me paint and joined in on painting part of the wall. My painting gig evolved into a tunnel and four extra walls. I cannot believe I did this...take a look and I hope you will plan a visit to walk through the Ogallah Caterpillar Tunnel in Edison Park neighborhood of Chicago.



  





























  



Check back for the next catch up!
Send me an email if you want to join my email list! oktoberstudio@hotmail.com

THANK YOU!